I’ve finally perfected a granola with help from Alan and Amy. It’s crunchy, nutty, not-too-sweet, and I amped up the spices to give it tons of flavor! I put dried blueberries, almonds, cashews, and walnuts in… but you can really put anything you want or leave out nuts all-together for a more simple version. Try these other combinations with this same basic recipe (take out blueberries) for a bit of variety…
-Tropical Summer Granola with coconut, dried pineapple, dates, almonds, and walnuts
-Fall Pumpkin Granola with dried cranberries, pumpkin seeds, pecans, and raisins
-Peanut Butter Honey Granola with peanuts, peanut butter, dates and honey
-Trail Mix Granola with walnuts, cranberries, chocolate chips,
-Dark Chocolate Raspberry granola with coconut, sunflower seeds, dark chocolate, sliced almonds, and freeze-dried raspberries
Other Add-ins: flaxseed meal, seeds, nuts, any dried fruit you can think of
adapted from Alan’s Great Granola
[Preheat oven to 325 degrees]
1. Measure out…
1/4 cup canola oil
1/4 cup honey
2. Add oil first to small warming pot, and then honey. Warm on low until bubbling gently.
3. Meanwhile, measure and put into a larger mixing bowl….
3 1/2 cups organic oatmeal
1/2 cup pumpkin or pepitas seeds (if using)
1+ tsp cinnamon (“+” to taste for all 3 spices)
1/2+ tsp nutmeg
1/2+ tsp ground allspice (or 1/4 tsp cloves), ground cardamom is great too!
1/4 tsp coarse salt (kosher)
4. Thoroughly mix in the warmed oil/honey and add 1 tsp vanilla extract….
5. Put into large cookie sheets or baking pans (w/ 1/2” or higher edges), first lined w/ reusable parchment paper or tin foil
6. Cook for 20 min at 325F
7. Remove pans and mix contents gently to prevent localized overcooking. Spread your nuts lightly across the surface of the above pans. i.e. whole or lightly chopped unroasted walnuts, cashews, and/or sliced almonds.
8. Switch positions of pan or pans, if doubling, to ensure even cooking
9. Cook additional 15- 20 min at 325F until oats are a golden brown and nuts are toasted and fragrant. If using sesame seeds, add towards the end to lightly toast
10. Remove from oven, mix in your dried fruit or coconut
11. Let cool completely (then you can add chocolate)
12. Store in an airtight container!
Your home will never smell better. Spoon on top of yogurt, sprinkle on ice cream, pour milk on top, or mix into a smoothie (try it)! It’s also great as a healthy snack on-the-go! Happy munching.